Sunday, October 11, 2009

To Know the Will of the Lord

While in prayer this morning, I was seeking God’s will for today, asking him to guide all my steps in everything I did. But how do we know EXACTLY what God wants us to do today? How do we discern what is from our own will and what is motivated by the Holy Spirit? Sometimes I feel so inadequate in knowing FOR SURE what the Lord wants from me day by day.

I think of Mary and Martha in the scriptures. Martha seemed to be doing what anyone might do today…she had a house full of people and she was taking care of them, it seems very logical, so much so that she was sure the Lord would see it her way too when she went to complain to him that Mary wasn’t helping her. Sometimes we are surprised to see that the things that seem so important to us, are not at all a concern for the Lord.

Learning to not “assume” what we are to do day by day is truly a learning process, it is part of the strong meat that the Lord wants to lead us to.

Hbr 5:14 But strong meat belongeth to them that are of full age, [even] those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil.

Rom 12:2 And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what [is] that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God

This morning while pondering these things, (sometimes I ask the Lord to speak loudly to me, because I feel like I am so hard of hearing and can’t always “see” what he wants me to do…I feel so dumb sometimes) then Lord brought to my mind, “the just shall live by faith” … and then to the scripture in Luke 7:22 “…tell John what things ye have seen and heard; how that the blind see...the deaf hear”…and he took me to , Isaiah 29:18 “And in that day shall the deaf hear the words of the book, and the eyes of the blind shall see out of obscurity, and out of darkness.” Praise the Lord that will make you want to shout! He answered so quickly, I can rest in him; He makes the blind see, and the deaf to hear!!

Day by day, he is able to make us “see” and “hear” what his perfect will for us is that day. If we are willing to seek him daily, surrender our wants and desires to him, we can rest and know that he will direct our steps. Through exercising this each day, we will see more and more of his will being formed in us. We would like it all to happen over night, but it is a process, we are “working out our own salvation with fear and trembling”, but what a wonderful journey we are on. It might be too big to think about living the rest of our lives in the perfect will of God, always obey him in everything…but surely the Lord is able to keep me in his will today.

Jude 1:24 Now unto him that is able to keep you from falling, and to present [you] faultless before the presence of his glory with exceeding joy,

No comments:

Post a Comment