Saturday, July 17, 2010

Look to the Hills

The Following is Chapter 9 of Bills Britton's book "Reach for the Stars"

The hills of Judea rose majestically out of the brown earth, and lifted their snowy peaks toward the clouds, while the eagles rested on the highest of their rocky crags. The young Israelite gazed with fond pride on this peaceful scene.

But to the ordinary Israelite, these hills meant more than just beautiful scenery. They spelled out his security, and safety from dreaded invaders. Let the Assyrians come, he thought, when their warriors and chariots came charging through the valleys, I will simply take my family and flee to the hills. When the enemy is gone, I will return and replant my crops. He lifted up his eyes to the hills, his place of refuge and safety.

From Whence Cometh my Help?

But there were some in Israel who were not just ordinary citizens. They saw by the eye of the Spirit. And they were aware of the weakness of trusting in natural resources for help against such cunning, vicious, and determined enemies.

The prophet of God warned the people in Amos 6:1: "WOE TO THEM THAT ARE AT EASE IN ZION, AND TRUST IN THE MOUNTAIN OF SAMARIA".
Jeremiah was even more bold in Jeremiah 3:23, when he said, "TRULY IN VAIN IS SALVATION HOPED FOR FROM THE HILLS, AND FROM THE MULTITUDE OF MOUNTAINS: TRULY IN THE LORD OUR GOD IS THE SALVATION OF ISRAEL." This scripture may seem to you to conflict with the Psalmist, but this is only because Psalms 121:1 has been so misunderstood, misquoted, and misinterpreted down through the years.

I will Lift Up Mine Eyes

How many times have you heard saints get up and testify, saying: "I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills from whence cometh my help"…… Oh, how religious this sounded, and how full of faith. But how exactly opposite to the truth of the Word.

For this scripture in Psalms 121:1 is not a statement of faith, but a question. The Revised Standard Version as well as the Amplified Old Testament both word it in the form of a question: "From whence shall my help come?" Then the answer is given in verse two: "My help cometh from the Lord, which made heaven and earth." The commentaries of both Adam Clarke and Matthew Henry also confirm this. And in the margin of the Schofield Bible it is worded thus: "SHALL IF LIFT UP MINE EYES TO THE HILLS? WHENCE SHOULD MY HELP COME? MY HELP COMETH FROM THE LORD!"

The Arm of Flesh

How we like to put our trust in something we can see or touch. Our job, our bank account, our doctor, or even our friends. Oh, so many hills all about us to run to in time of trouble, a great multitude of mountains. And how solid and firm they seem. But chapter 16 of Revelation tells of the seven vials of God's wrath being poured out upon the earth, and verse 20 says: "And the mountains were not found."

There is something much better than natural help, or "hills", to have around in times of need and trouble. And that is a trust and confidence in the divine protection, provision, and leadership of the Holy Ghost! As Romans 8:14 says: "FOR AS MANY AS ARE LED BY THE SPIRIT OF GOD, THEY ARE THE SONS OF GOD." To the natural man this seems very weak, flimsy, and insecure. But then, the natural man is not coming into Sonship. Hallelujah!

The Arm of the Lord

The ministry of Moses, the man of God, ended in a blaze of glory as he prophesied glorious promises to the children of Israel just before his death. In Deuteronomy 33:27 he said: "THE ETERNAL GOD IS THY REFUGE, AND UNDERNEATH ARE THE EVERLASTING ARMS." Now this man knew something about leaning on the arm of the Lord. He had delivered two million or more slaves from the hand of the tyrant Pharaoh, and had left the world's mightiest nation in shambles. All without any "hills" to trust in. He had brought them across a sea without a bridge or a ferry boat. He had fed them for forty years without a commissary, farm, or even a deep-freeze. There had been plenty of water in the midst of a dry desert land. Now he could speak with authority when he said: "UNDERNEATH ARE THE EVERLASTING ARMS". He had proved God, and found Him faithful.

The Pot of Manna

When Moses was admonished to build the Tabernacle, he was instructed to gather a pot of the manna that fell from heaven and put it into the ark of the Covenant in the Holiest Place. This was a symbol and remembrance to them of the divine provision of God for them through the wilderness journey. Praise God!

We are now in a time of training for the great and terrible day of the Lord. Those "terrible trials" we seem to be going through are only for the purpose of teaching us to trust in God and rely upon His grace, instead of depending upon the natural resources and abilities. For in that day when the forces of Anti-christ put the pressure on God's people to either bow or starve, the only ones who will survive are those who have learned His divine provision. They have learned not to "look to the hills" for safety and protection.

"Training Camp Experiences"

The training and discipline God is putting us through now may seem hard to bear (remember, you have not yet shed blood for the sake of the Gospel, and most of you have not even been stripped of all your earthly possessions). But this training will yield a good fruit, if we are exercised thereby.

"Bed, Springs, and Mattress"

God had given me many examples of His timely provision, and His supernatural care for His own. One of the most amusing incidents that happened to me took place soon after the birth of our oldest daughter. My wife was in St. Louis with our two babies, while I was finishing up a summer of evangelistic meetings.

The summer being ended, I went back to Springfield, Missouri to get ready for the fall term of Bible School, and to find an apartment for the family. I found the apartment, but there was no springs or mattress for our bed. And when I had paid the rent, I only had $11 left with which to buy the springs and mattress. After searching the town over, first in the better stores, then in cheaper stores, then finally in a second-hand furniture store, I discovered that my $11 would not begin to buy either springs or mattress, let alone both of them. I was distressed. I stood on the corner of Walnut and Campbell, wondering where to go from there. And there on the sidewalk, while people passed by, I silently looked to the Lord for direction and guidance.

"Go to the Auction!"

As I stood there with my eyes closed, a voice seemed to speak to my heart: "Go to the auction". Auction? What auction? And then, before my eyes came a vision of a small sign which said: "AUCTION EVERY TUESDAY". Where had I seen that sign? And then I remembered. It stood in front of a farmhouse on the west edge of the city. I had often passed, but never stopped. And this was Tuesday. Would it do any good to check out this leading? I got into my little red panel truck and headed west.

Something said: "Faster!" I stepped on the gas. "Faster!" I sped to the farmhouse at the legal speed limit. As I drew near I could see a long line of cars on both sides of the road, and I knew they were having an auction. I parked the truck and started toward the farmhouse. Something said: "Run!", and I ran up the road, then up the driveway toward a barn where a crowd of people were gathered, while other folks looked at me and wondered why the hurry.

"Going…… Going…… Gone!"

As I neared the crowed, I could hear the auctioneer but could not see him. He was saying: "Alright, I have a bid of $10, anyone say $10.25? Going for $10…… anyone bid 10 and a quarter?" I heard myself yelling: "Yes", as I ran toward the crowd. The crowd turned to look, startled, then began to open a path for me. The auctioneer looked disgusted at this interruption, and the crowd laughed as they saw my appearance, all out of breath. The auctioneer put his hands on his hips and said: "Did you bid $10.25?" I caught my breath and answered: "Yes sir, what are you selling?" The crowd really laughed then, and the auctioneer looked more disgusted than ever. He pointed to his left and said: "I'm selling this bed, springs, and mattress. Now do you want to bid on it?" I didn't even go look at it. I just told him that, yes, I would bid $10.25. Then a lady bid $10.50 and I raised it to $10.75. I knew that was my limit, for if she bid $11, I could go no higher. But she did not bid again, so he sold it to me. I asked if I could pay for it immediately, and he directed me inside the barn to a cashier. By the time the tax was added on, my money was gone. I then pulled the panel truck into the driveway, and loaded on my bed, springs, and mattress. By the time they had made another sale, I was driving joyously down the road praising my Jehovah-Jireh, the glorious God of Provision!

The Folding Machine

A few years ago, after getting into the publishing ministry and printing many thousands of tracts and booklets, we found that we desperately needed a folder. Folding by hand was nigh on to impossible. But there was no money for a folder. However, one Friday a salesman came along, and when he learned my need for a folder, he promised to bring one out the following Monday to demonstrate. I took this as from the Lord, and agreed. I was to look at his folder, and then decide whether or not to buy. But Friday night I asked the Lord to show if I was to buy it, and how. Saturday morning our son, Steve, went to the post office. He returned with a card from REA railway express, saying we had a package. Believe it or not, it was a table-top folder, just like the one I was to look at, only a different brand. God had spoken to a brother the week previous to mail it to me from California. God will not let me reveal our needs, but He does our talking!

How Many Hills?

Yes, there are cattle on a thousand hills, but they all belong to God. How many hills are you looking to, and trusting in? Maybe you have an "ace in the hole", but before your training is over, God will take it away.

For that which God is training us to enter into, there must come an entire reliance upon Him. This sometimes is a hard lesson to learn. One widow learned it by making a cake for Elijah. Elijah had learned it sitting by a brook, watching the ravens fly in. Peter had a lesson by looking into a fish's mouth. He also got a lesson while sleeping between two soldiers in a prison. Paul and Silas had learned it in a Philipian jail.

The Plymouth Car

I must be a slow learner, for I have been getting many lessons. One time I was in desperate need of a car. I began to fast and pray. Finally in desperation I went to a car dealer, agreed on a Plymouth, and arranged for a loan. But when I went back to close the deal and pick up the car, the Lord gave me a warning signal that this was not of God. So I called the deal off. I felt bad. So close, but still no car.

The very next day, just at supper time as the family were sitting down to the table, the phone rang. It was a long distance call from another state. "Bro. Bill", they said, "God told me you needed a car. There's a Plymouth there in Springfield that belonged to a friend of mine. I bought it from him, and am sending you the title. It is now your car, you can go over and pick it up." Suddenly I felt like eating, and joined the family for supper. Praise God, He's tearing down my hills!

"In the Name of Jesus"

A story too long to tell here concerns a demon possessed murderer who came to my home one night to kill me. He was a brute of a man, and I was a young preacher in a terrific struggle against demon power in the church. He got into the house on a pretense, and then at an opportune time, he made a grab for me. Suddenly, somehow, I had my hands on his head, and was speaking in tongues. The demon seemed to be bound, and he could not touch me again.

No one was home but me, and our oldest boy who was then just three years old. This man walked about the room, ranting and raving, cursing and talking crazy. He walked over to the big chair where the little boy lay, asleep, reached down and took hold of his ankles.

I could see his intentions, and it seemed that I could see Steve smashed up against the side of the wall. I said: "In the Name of Jesus, turn him loose!" The man turned loose as tho the baby's legs were hot. I then woke the boy up, carried him into another room, put a flashlight into his hands, and sent him out into the night with instructions to go to the church. The little lad headed down the dark dirt street of the fishing village toward the church, while I turned back to my problem "visitor".

Needless to say, God protected us, and gave us a mighty deliverance. Hallelujah! The very next day, this ex-convict went completely berserk, was captured and subdued and eventually placed in an insane asylum. I felt bad that I had not been able to deliver the poor man from the evil spirits, but at any rate, I had learned something. I had learned to depend entirely upon the Spirit of God in an emergency.

The Mountains Crumbled

I found myself one time nestled into a lovely little valley of contentment, surrounded by a large number of protecting hills. Not literal hills, but the kind we have been talking about.

I had a good job, a regular income, a beautiful home, a radio broadcast, a good reputation, and a growing spot in the civic life of the city. Just been elected President of the PTA, on the Board of Directors of the T.B. Association, officer in the Lion's Club, Sect. Treasurer of the little League Association, LUTC, Red Cross, etc. etc. We loved the little city of about 50,000 population where we lived, right on the Gulf of Mexico. Nice climate, fine neighbors. How many hills can you have in one place?
Had I stayed in my little nest, I would not have been led into this publishing ministry, and you would not be reading this now. But God began to deal with me about leaving this place. My wife and I had never had it so nice since we had been married, and I was not quite willing to hear the voice of the Lord when He spoke about leaving and going out by faith. Going…… where? I didn't know. I didn't have any contacts, no churches asking for revivals. After all, I was preaching on the radio and in various churches in that area. Why should I have to leave? Too many hills.

My back had been hurt some years before, and was now growing progressively worse. I was wearing a brace, and at times was almost disabled. But still I stumbled on.

Then Steve took down sick. A constant low fever, one leg drawing up shorter than the other, and we took him out of school. He was 9 years old. The doctors finally confirmed it as a positive case of Rheumatic Fever. The child crippler. We were told to keep him in bed, quiet, to prevent damage to his heart. My heart was crushed.

That night I knelt by his bed, after everyone was asleep. I travailed before God, and came to a place of absolute submission to His will and purpose for my life. He took me over every phase of my life…… the job, the home, the broadcast, Little League, the civic jobs, the prestige…… everyone of them went on the altar that night. But, you see, God had a mighty powerful leverage on me. My little boy was lying there, crippled by this horrible disease. Around midnight I had nothing left.

And then God spoke: "Lay your hands on him, and rebuke that thing". I did so, then went to bed. The next morning I said: "Honey, let's take him back for another examination, I believe God has healed him". And I told the doctor about how I had prayed for him, and asked for another complete examination. After a thorough exam, the doctor said: "Mr. Britton, there's not a thing in the world wrong with this boy, he's as healthy as any child I've ever had in here, no Rheumatic fever, no cold, no nothing. But just to make sure, we'll have another blood test made."

"My Help Cometh"

Back to the laboratory we went to get some more blood. I asked them to check it 40 ways, for I wanted to be sure. That afternoon the doctor called and said: "Good news, Mr. Britton, everything is negative, no fever nor anything else. You can put him back in school tomorrow, and he can run and play and do anything any other child can do." Since then he has had a normal, healthy life, and has been on the baseball, basketball, and tennis teams in highschool, with no more sickness. Not long after that I resigned my job, we sold that home in Florida, and moved out into new channels, looking only unto our Lord and provider. As we drove north in the car, God completely healed my injured back!

He is Faithful

Many have been the times He has proven faithful to His unworthy servants. Like the time a large piece of lumber fell out of a tree and struck little 2 year old Rachel in the stomach, narrowly missing her head. We rushed her to the emergency room of the hospital, and waited there for a long time while they unsuccessfully tried to find a doctor. Finally, we decided God did not want us there, so we left without treatment. Her condition looked serious for some time, then one day in church, her mother reached out in faith for her healing, and in that moment she was perfectly healed.

There was an immediate change, and there has been no after effects. Praise His wonderful Name! Many more times has God met us, teaching us not to look to the natural, the hills, but to depend entirely upon Him. This is the heritage of the Sons of God!

Bill Britton

No comments:

Post a Comment